Friday, November 7, 2008

Day 2 - Blessing #2

(Photo of staph bacteria)

So after my Temple post yesterday, there was no way I could NOT post about this.

Charlie got a mosquito bite at soccer practice on Wed. night. Thursday morning it looked really big and swollen and I figured he was having a little reaction to the bite. By the time he got home from preschool, it looked even worse. And when CJ got home from work and we showed it to him, it was really red, swollen, hot and oozing something. So I took him to a neighborhood clinic and got him some amoxicillan - they said it was "cellulitis." (Is that the right word? Sounds too much like "cellulite" to be right but I'm pretty sure that's what they called it.)

Then this morning, I was at Target and I happened to run into a couple from my ward and I showed them Charlie's leg. Turns out, their little boy had a staph infection a year ago that got extremely nasty and scary and required surgery and a long hospital stay and the poor kid is STILL on antibiotics for it. I knew all this of course - maybe that's why I wanted to show them Charlie's leg. Anyway, they recommended that I take Charlie to our regular pediatrician asap, so I called and got him in. And he has a staph infection in his leg. They changed his prescription (and it cost $94 MORE than his amoxicillan did darn it! And yes, that was our co-pay!) and told us to watch him very closely for the next 48 hours. Now is that crazy or what? I am totally convinced that seeing my friends at Target was NOT a coincidence. It reminded me (yet again) that I am loved, and watched over. Now, I'm just praying that Charlie's infection will go away and not interfere with our trip.

9 comments:

Emily said...

oh my GOSH sara, that's so freaky! what a crazy story! i never knew you could get staph from a mosquito! what in the world?

Emily said...

and can i just say, it's a miracle charlie is alive? seems like he'd be dead ten times over if he'd lived 100 years ago. that poor kid.

Shelah said...

Is he taking the meds ok? They're so nasty that a little bribery might be in order...

Melanie said...

Oh Sara, what a blessing to run into them! I hope the new expensive meds help.

Summer said...

Wow! that is so scary. Poor Charlie seems to be getting more than his fair share of crappy luck.

Holly or James said...

so, i guess mom and dad actually need to watch him closely, eh?!
what kind of antibiotics is he on? i hope it's not MRSA.
-gym

ellen said...

it is mrsa gym, he's on clindamycin I think

Sara said...

The staph infection came from Charlie scratching, not from the mosquito. And yes, Em, it does seem like a miracle that he's made it to 5! Shelah, he hates the medicine but at least he's taking it. We keep reminding him that it's just a few more days (not months like in your case...)

Holly or James said...

How scary!!! Sure is a blessing you saw your friends when you did.