Sunday, July 5, 2009

America the Beautiful


"Oh, beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life!
America! America! May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness, and every gain divine."
(America the Beautiful, verse 3. Words by Katherine Lee Bates, 1859-1929).
We sang this in church today and verse 3 made me cry. I'm so grateful to be in this country and for the sacrifices that make our freedom possible. I know I don't appreciate it as much or think about it as often as I should.
"...Long may our land be bright with freedom's holy light.
Protect us by thy might, Great God, our King!"
(My Country, 'Tis of Thee, verse 4. Words by Samuel F. Smith, 1808-1895).

2 comments:

Emily said...

Isaac asked me why we were doing fireworks and listening to music on Saturday night and I said "because we live in a free country" and then I burst into tears. Sheesh. I must really love the USA.

Holly or James said...

i hope Obama lets us keep at least some of our freedoms.
Love the USofA
-gym