Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Go Brigham

“As I have often told my sisters in the Female Relief Societies, we have sisters here who, if they had the privilege of studying, would make just as good mathematicians or accountants as any man; and we think they ought to have the privilege to study these branches of knowledge that they may develop the powers with which they are endowed. We believe that women are useful not only to sweep houses, wash dishes, make beds, and raise babies, but that they should stand behind the counter, study law or physic [medicine], or become good book-keepers and be able to do the business in any counting house, and this to enlarge their sphere of usefulness for the benefit of society at large (Discourses of Brigham Young, 216–17).”

I hope to someday enlarge my sphere of usefulness for the benefit of society, but for now it's my season to sweep houses, wash dishes, make beds, and raise babies.

5 comments:

Summer said...

Wow! I really love that! Thank you.

Emily said...

oh man is that funny.

or is it not funny? it made me laugh, soo...i'll say funny.

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing that. I liked it.

ellen said...

interesting

Shelly said...

Hey, I was just procrastinating paying bills....er...I mean spending valuable time checking out old friends blogs and saw you're moving to Austin!!! Where are you going to live? We are in Round Rock now and the Pittmans are in Cedar Park...Welcome to the "Weird" town....