Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It must be hard to be third...

I'll admit it - my 3 older kids have been a little bit neglected lately. When my sister and in-laws were here to help, it wasn't so bad, but in the week since all our company left, it's been worse. I just didn't realize how bad until last night.

I was starting dinner and Rachel came in and asked for an apple. I grabbed one from the fridge and handed it to her without even washing it - mostly thinking that she wouldn't really eat it anyway. About 10 minutes later, after I'd gone upstairs to change the baby, this is what I found on the kitchen table. Not only did she eat it, she even ate part of the core!


When Hannah was two, if she had asked for an apple, I would've peeled it and cut it into easy-to-eat slices. But not Rachel. If she wants an apple, she gets one that isn't peeled or cut. It isn't even washed. And she'll eat it, core and all, because that's what happens when you're the third child. Poor thing!

8 comments:

Emily said...

I'm DYING, man! That is hi-larious! And sad.

lynette said...

So TRUE! I was #4 of 5 daughters and I had to do all my own apple washing. Oh well, just think of it as teaching her independence!

Jeannie said...

I've seen a trend lately with Dane and my other friends that the third child is usually pretty independent and good-natured. We both survived being child #3 and look how great we are!

Dave L. said...

So now I know what's been troubling me for all these years. I was third.
Dad

Holly or James said...

poor rachel. maybe we'll only have 2 kids.

ellen said...

hi-larious, and true. Just last night jared was mentioning how well Kate has adjusted to Eliza and doesn't seem to be having any troubles at all. I then pointed out that as the third child she's already used to the lack of attention, so really nothing has changed for her, sad.

Sara said...

Hahahaha! I hadn't realized when I wrote this post that I am also the THIRD child. Dad, I never realized that you were third too. And I have to agree with you Jeans, the 3rd baby seems to be more easy-going and independent.

Brenya said...

I love that story! And I love Rachel!