Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A baby story

Just in case you're interested, this is the story about how Eric was born. I'm writing it here so I'll be able to remember the details that I'm already starting to forget (even though only 2 weeks have gone by).

I was originally scheduled to be induced on Wed, the 21st of January. I got up at 5 am so I could shower and shave my legs (and only someone who's been 9 months pregnant can fully appreciate what that really means) and I called the hospital at 6. They told me that L&D was full but to call back at 9. Which I did, only to be told again that there were no beds available and that I should call back at 11. I was starting to feel pretty desperate at that point, but it got worse at 11 when I called again and they told me that my induction had been "bumped" to the next day. Luckily, my sister was nice and sent me out to lunch with a few friends which totally cheered me up (at least as much as I could be cheered up). I honestly kept wondering how I was going to make it through another night but somehow I did.

So on Thursday morning, I started the whole process again only to be told the same thing: L&D was full again and I would most likely have to wait until Friday. Ugh! So I called my Dr.'s office when it opened at 8 and asked if she could get me in since I hadn't seen her for 9 days and I wanted her to check me and make sure the baby was still doing okay. I went in at 9 and she told me that she would be happy to induce me the next day (providing the hospital had room for me). She said I was 4 cm and about 70% effaced and said she would "strip the membranes" to see if that would get things going. She also did that at my previous appointment and I'd had contractions off and on all day but that was it. Anyway, when we left her office, CJ and I drove over to his work where they have an indoor walking path and we started walking. We walked as fast as I could for about a mile and a half and I had contractions the whole time. We started timing them and they were every 6-8 minutes, but I was sure that I soon as I stopped walking, the contractions would stop too. So we sat and took a little break, but I kept having contractions! So we called the Dr. back and she told us to go straight to the hospital.

When I got there, I figured my contractions would stop and they would send me home, but they actually admitted me and took me to a room! And my contractions never stopped. I was actually in labor! Finally! I got to the hospital at noon and by 3:00 I was ready for an epidural. Nothing too miserable, but I was pretty uncomfortable and I had 3 hard contractions back-to-back and just figured I was done suffering. So the anesthesiologist came in and did the epidural and then they broke my water and started a little pitocin. (I think the Dr. was trying to hurry things along a little bit because she had a previous appointment at 7). Anyway, about 4, the nurse checked me and told me I was fully dilated and to let her know if I felt any pressure. A few minutes later, I did feel a lot of pressure so she called my OB and told her to come quick! A few minutes later, the nurse checked again and told me the baby was on his way (which I knew - I could feel it) and the Dr. came running in and put on her gloves and caught little Eric. I never even pushed. I guess that happens after 3 babies? Who knows? Anyway, it was a super-easy delivery once it finally started. He was born at 4:24pm - just a few hours after we had arrived at the hospital.

I am so glad that he's finally here. And I'm really glad my sister was able to help out for a few days. And then CJ's parents came and helped for a week too. It was great to have them to play with the other kids and help with laundry, shopping, cooking etc. so I could focus on Eric. Thanks for all your help guys!

Here's a picture of grandma Millie with Eric taken just a few days ago:


And his umbilical cord fell off on Sunday when he was 10 days old so here are some pictures of his first bath:





9 comments:

Emily said...

oh, he's too sweet! i love stories of people who actually go into labor. neat.

Summer said...

ahwwwwwww

lynette said...

wow! that's sounds like a really fast and fairly easy labor! glad he's finally here--what a cutie!!

Cherise said...

Congratulations Sara, he's as handsome as can be! Oh, and I got up at 5am to shower, shave, and fix my hair too... it was worth it 'cause I actually looked fairly decent in my L&D pictures this time around! Good luck with the upcoming weeks!

Holly or James said...

cute boy.
-gym

Melanie said...

Wow! What a story. I'm so glad you finally got to have him on Thursday! I can't even imagine how bummed you were Wednesday night. What a disappointment.

He's super cute.

So is all the help gone? When can I bring dinner over?

Jeannie said...

Give it up for easy deliveries! I was lucky and had good deliveries too. Glad to hear you are doing well. He is so stinkin' cute!

Peg said...

he is so cute I can't stand it! Good work!

mahina said...

i love to hear other birth stories! i've never been induced, but i can imagine the frustration when you are turned away on your induction date!

our birth was very quick and intense! i highlighted it on my blog. she was born only 5 days after your eric! so happy to have her here!

congrats! he is adorable!