Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Breaking Dawn


In anticipation of the 4th installment of the famous "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer (due out THIS SATURDAY) I've have spent the last few days re-reading the first 3 books. I had originally decided to just skim through and review them, but once I picked them up, I just couldn't help myself and I read all 3. I'd forgotten how good they are and how much I enjoy reading them - although I think my family hates it when I get that into a book (or three). Anyway, I have A LOT of things I want to post about and I even marked pages in my books that I wanted to quote on my blog, but I've decided not to (mainly in the interest of time...) Anyway, I just have to wonder about a few things...
  • Why is Jacob described as being so good for Bella? Bella frequently refers to him as her sun - he equals warmth and comfort for her. Like Jacob tells Bella at the end of "Eclipse" they would have been totally natural together. He would be like sun or air for her whereas Edward is her "drug." Is that a good thing? That Bella CAN'T live without Edward? Is it healthy? Don't get me wrong - I really like Edward and I know how happy he makes Bella, but after this reading (my third) I just have some doubts I guess...
  • Is Bella really going to give up the human world and everything that goes with it to become a vampire? I think this is the last book in the series and I keep thinking this question has to be answered, but she's been able to put it off so far... Plus, maybe I'm just old but I can't help but think that I'm so glad I didn't get most of the things I desperately wished for when I was 18. Things change as we get older and the things we want and dream evolve. 18 is pretty young to make a decision with such lasting consequences.
  • Does it bug anyone else that Edward flat out LIES to Bella in the third book? If he loves her so much, why isn't he honest with her? He convinces her to go to FL to visit her mom after telling her that Alice's vision in the lunchroom had to do with Jasper (a flat out lie) when it was actually about the return of Victoria. Why the deception? I think Jacob has every right to be mad that Edward kept the truth from Bella and I wonder why it didn't bother Bella more to know that her true love was deceitful and dishonest. It bugged me.
  • I know things work out, but it also bugged me more this time around that Edward leaves in book 2. I understand why he left and what his intentions were, but how could he let Bella suffer like that? If he could read anyone's thoughts (Charlie's, Jessica's, anyone who knew or spent time with Bella) he would know how much she was suffering. It seems cruel.

I guess those are just a few of my thoughts. I know not everyone sees things my way and I'm not looking to start an argument or anything. I'm just excited for the 4th book to come out and hopefully answer a few of my questions. I'm always a little sad when a series that I like is over and I'm just wondering how I'm going to feel after this story ends... I just want a happy ending but I wonder what exactly that would mean for these characters.

Anyone who wants to read a "spoiler" announced by Stephenie Meyer herself can find it here.

Happy reading!

7 comments:

Emily said...

I desperately hope she doesn't end up a vampire. After reading the first book I kept thinking he should just make her a vampire and they could just be together. But after reading the rest, I am in love with Jacob. Edward is cool, yes, but she would be giving up EVERYTHING for him. I can't imagine that some day she wouldn't resent that. I agree with you about not getting what you wished for when you were 18. Teenagers are stupid (no offense to any teenagers, I was too). They just don't have the life experience to make those kinds of choices.

About the deception...he was trying to help her, wasn't he? I can't really remember the details, but I really thought he was trying to help somehow. Somebody lied to me once, and I remember being devastated about because of the way it affected my day. I remember Ellen saying "but aren't you mad that he LIED?" That hadn't even crossed my mind. I was just sad that the lie was about something important to me. So maybe she didn't notice (or care) because she just loves him so much.

Sorry about the novel comment.

Sara said...

He wasn't rying to help her, he just wanted her out of town because Victoria was back, so instead of telling her, he just LIED and talked her into going to FL. I guess he was helping her by protecting her, but couldn't he have just told her the truth? Why did he say Alice's vision was about Jasper? It wasn't. It was about Victoria. It just bugs me that it's so deceitful and that it doesn't bug Bella more to know that he lies to her...(regardless of his intentions).

I was the same way - I thought she would beome a vampire in the first book and was kind of shocked that it STILL hadn't happening by the third. Maybe she'll stay human? I like Jacob more and more the more I read the books but I know she's gonna end up with Edward

Peg said...

I agree with all of your points. I think its foolish to think that at 18 you know for sure waht you want for your entire life. I keep hoping that there is a magic "fix" and Edward becomes human. I think I will be happy with who ever she chooses but I really don't want her to become a vampire.

Summer said...

I am SOOOOOO jealous of all of you. Im going to be on trek when it comes out....and i am SOOOOO exited. I've re-read them too. Its sad that she has to give up everything that he loves about her to be immortal- her heartbeat, her blush, her smell.

Edward just wanted her out of danger. I am in love with edward. I love jacob too, but edward is so perfect. And the other thing is I hate Bella. I think she makes the dumbest decisions! Why cant I be the one that has edward madly in love with me? ;)

Thanks for the post sarah.

mahina said...

oh, i love you sarah! i don't know if you like edward or not, but it sounds to me that you like jacob more...am i right?

i DO NOT like edward! i know i am totally in the minority. i think he is overly protective, he flat out lied to her (like you said) and he is just wrong! their relationship almost creeps me out!

i want her to be with jacob. i just like him so much more for her. they just fit!

and 18 is not the age to make a life altering decision! period!

this next book will be very interesting, i'm sure!

Melanie said...

I so need to read those books again! It's been a while and I remember basic stuff, but not all of the little details.

I go back and forth on Edward and Jacob. I totally agree that making a decision at 18 vs 30 is a completely different thing, and I don't want her to give up everything for him too. The whole relationship just seems a bit too intense. But, it is exciting to read it 'cause it reminds me of dating my husband and how it all felt in the beginning - the infatuation you have. (I wasn't as crazy as Bella, but you know . . .)

And I don't know, but I think Bella is so dang stubborn sometimes! I remember a couple times just thinking, "Grow up!" :) But she is young, so what can you expect?

It'll be interesting to see how this last book is. I hope it's good!

ellen said...

ugh, this post sure got me riled up. HATE these books. I heard someone on a news show saying she's the next JK Rowling and I wanted to throw something through my TV, SACRILEGE!