Thursday, July 24, 2008

July 24th

Happy 24th of July!
Since this really isn't a holiday here in Texas, as it commemorates the arrival of the Mormon Pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley, we aren't doing anything to celebrate. But I thought I would post a few pictures from our recent trip to Utah. We visited "Heritage Square" where you can tour a pioneer-era settlement. Here are my kids in front of the "This is the [right] place" momument. They didn't care much about it.

Here, a "pioneer" woman is teaching the kids how to play a game the pioneer kids used to play. If you're interested, all the "pioneers" here are volunteers and this nice lady had her kids with her (even a baby on her hip part of the time) while she talked to and helped our kids find their way around. I was amazed that this sweet lady would bring her kids along in the heat and do this for free!
Here's cousin Isaac trying his hand. You have to catch the fabric loop on your two sticks and then "throw" it back to the other person by sort of flicking your sticks apart. It's harder than it looks!
Hannah got to wash some laundry on an old-fashioned wash board. My mom suggested I buy one and put her to work on it when she misbehaves. Not a bad idea actually, except she seemed to think this was pretty fun. I wonder if the pioneers felt the same way...(hooray, it's laundry day!)
And she got to hang her clean laundry in the sun to dry.
Here, another friendly volunteer is teaching my kids how to make crickets out of combs and pipe cleaners. If you don't know the story about the pioneers and the crickets, I could probably find you a link to a story about it or something, but I'm much too lazy (and posting way too late in the day) to worry about it right at the moment.
The kids also got to ride a pony. Here's Charlie!
And Hannah!
We also got a ride a train through town. Then, we traded some money in at the bank for "Deseret Dollars" which we promptly spent at the store... on candy.
The highlight of the day though HAD to be during lunch when I lost Rachel and my sister Emily lost her son, Noah. We were searching for them everywhere and couldn't find them inside or outside of the building where we were eating lunch. I was starting to get a little panicked when Emily heard a ringing noise. We walked over to the elevator and when the doors opened up, sure enough, there they both were - all alone and having the time of their lives. Little Noah was pushing the fire alarm button or we might not have ever found them. Yikes! I do things like this so often, I'm just waiting for my "Mother of the Year" award.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I love those pictures, they're great! Can you email me the ones with my kids in them? especially the one of Noah and Rache in the elevator. Hi-larious!

by the way, did you get my message that I got that transformer for you at McD's yesterday?

Holly or James said...

looks like a fun time was had by all.
-gym

Sara said...

yes, Em I got your message. Did you get mine? I'll email you the pictures too - I have a really cute one of Isaac on the pony too.

Summer said...

Fun stuff! Its so cute to see that.. especially with trek coming up.

Melanie said...

I bet the pioneers loved laundry day! I mean, who wouldn't want to be hunched over that thing for a few hours!? :)

Looks like a fun trip!

Holly or James said...

Maybe they'll like the 'this is the place monument' a bit more when my dad's twice life size statues are there!! (: