Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Our miracle

Saturday night, I got a call from the primary president who told me she was planning sharing time and needed our help. She asked several kids to share personal experiences with the Priesthood and she wondered if Hannah (and CJ) would talk about her recent illness and stay in the hospital. So, we talked about it and agreed. Sunday morning, we get to Sharing Time and a few other kids talk about when they were baptized or confirmed and our P.P.'s husband talked about blessing their new baby girl (she's 2 months old and so cute!) And then it was Hannah's turn. She went up to the front and the P.P. said, "This is Hannah and a few weeks ago she got very sick and had to go to the hospital and she's going to tell us about the blessing her dad gave her before she went." And Hannah started to say, "My dad's blessing helped me to feel better." And then she started tearing up and she managed to say, "and I knew that somehow I would be okay." And then CJ talked for a minute about giving her the blessing. But I was totally in tears as I realized two things:

1. One of the greatest miracles in life as a mother is seeing your child feel the Spirit and hearing your child express their own testimony. The Spirit was strong and I know she felt that.

2. I wondered on numerous occasions why I took Hannah to the Dr. that day. My kids have been sick plenty of times before and a stomach virus is not something I would normally take to my pediatrician. Yes, she was a little more lethargic than normal and she'd been sick for several days, but I had to take all 3 kids for a "stand-by" appointment which usually means at least an hour in the waiting room. Not something I would normally do. But as Hannah said those words on Sunday, I realized for the first time that I was prompted to go. That Heavenly Father was watching out for Hannah because He loves her so much and He was answering her prayers and getting her the help she really needed (and that I could not provide for her). It reminded me yet again how much I need the Spirit to raise these kids and it made me especially grateful that CJ had given her a Priesthood blessing.

6 comments:

ellen said...

very sweet post, it made me cry. Good job noticing the hand of the Lord in your family's life. Do you remember the talk Elder Eyring gave at conference in October (if not you should re-read it, it's AWESOME) he talks about keeping a journal for your family where you write down where you saw the hand of the Lord in you or your family's life every day. I've been trying to do that ever since but I'm TERRIBLE at it. I'm just not sensitive enough to the spirit I guess.

Emily said...

you made me cry! so sweet. i worry all the time that i'm not listening to the spirit so that i can be prompted to help my kids. good that you were!

barterboutique said...

you made me tear up too! you are such a blessed woman, not just because of the blessings you received, but because you recognize them.

Peg said...

Sometimes it takes awhile to comprehend and connect the dots so to speak. Did you talk to Hannah after words about what she was feeling and why she started to cry? Helping them understand and recognize what they are feeling gives them a foundation to grow with. What a sweet experience – thanks for sharing it.

Dave L. said...

And, it is great to see my children recognizing the spirit in their children. "I have no greater joy than to see my children walk in truth".
Dad

Melanie said...

I love this story. So sweet.