Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Projects



Since today is Tuesday, Charlie has preschool and I'm home alone with only 1 child. I usually use this time to grocery shop, run errands, go to the mall, whatever. But I've been feeling SO lazy lately, so I've decided that I'm going to use at least one day a week to work on PROJECTS. I have about a million on a list. Things like:


  • Going through, organizing and getting rid of toys (yes, AGAIN)

  • Going through and cleaning up my children's dressers and closets

  • Cleaning up kitchen cabinets and drawers

  • Organizing and sorting my closet (I have SO much stuff in there that I don't wear)

  • Our office (needs to be painted, needs curtains, needs a little more cleaning out)

  • Clean out the cabinets in our butler's pantry

  • Clean out our pantry - it's HUGE. I should actually do a post someday about my pantry. You wouldn't believe it. It's like my own mini-grocery store (if I keep it stocked, that is)

That's just a small sample. Anyway, today my project was to work on my recipes. About 2 years ago, I decided to type all my recipes and print them and make my own little recipe book. I've done lots and lots of typing over the years but I am sadly realizing it's just not ever going to be finished. So today, I'm organizing and putting all of my recipes into those clear sheet protectors and in a binder. They're not all "printed" from my computer, in fact, most are just scribbled down on scraps of paper, but I'm taping those onto sheets and putting them into my own personal recipe book. Lame, I know, but I'm so sick of shuffling through a thousand scraps of paper everytime I need a recipe. My mom's recipe for breakfast casserole is on a yellow scrap so I can always find that one pretty quick, but still, I waste lots of valuable time searching for the right scrap. I'm hoping this helps. We'll see.




By the way, I'm hosting Book Club tomorrow night and I'm trying to decide what to serve for snacks. I'm thinking maybe stuffed mushrooms and spinach/artichoke dip. Maybe something chocolate. Any ideas or suggestions?

4 comments:

Emily said...

good idea! love projects, once they're finished. i did that same thing: typed my recipes, printed them and put them in sheet protectors in a binder. and now whenever i have a recipe i just stick it in there, handwritten, on post-its. hopefully someday i'll type them all and have it organized, but at least they're somewhere now, a central place that i know i can find.

Peg said...

I have a folder in my email account that I keep all the recipes that I might want to cook if I am not at home. We usually have internet access where ever we go that I would be cooking so I have access to my recipes.
I vote Brownie Bites if you have a mini muffin tin these are awesome!

1 pkg chocolate fudge cake mix
1/2 c. butter
1 egg
mix all together fill mini muffin tins 2/3 full bake at 325 for 10-12min. right away when done baking push in the middle with the top of a pop bottle. cool in pan 15 min remove and cool some more. fill with filling.
1 pkg instant choc pudding (we used devils food)
1 cup 1/2 and
1 28 oz frozen whipped topping
mix pudding and 1/2 and 1/2, fold in whipped topping. or you can do the filling with
1/2 pkg cream cheese
1 pkg instant white choc pudding
8 oz cool whip
Mix all together with beaters fill the brownie bites and then grate a skor bar on top.

Emily said...

oh man peggy, those sound AWESOME. can't wait to try it!

lyn said...

Recipe organization is on my project list, too! I saw a neat recipe organizer in Real Simple's May issue - it is on my Mother's Day "request list"

All of the treats sound yummy....I love stuffed mushrooms and chocolate is always a hit (I haven't read the book, but I think I need to get out!!)