Thursday, September 25, 2008

Getting back to normal...

So today was my first trip back to the grocery store after the hurricane. Since we threw everything in the fridge and freezer away, it was a MAJOR shopping trip and I was in the store for almost 2 hours. Anyone want to take a guess at how much I spent? Keep in mind, I took this picture after I starting putting things away...

Hannah and Charlie are both back at school which is nice - I'm glad I only had Rachel at the store today. We've had a couple of people here to give us estimates on our needed home repairs, but we're still waiting to hear from our insurance adjustor.

I took Charlie to the hospital yesterday for his EKG and we are anxiously awaiting the cardiologist's report. I also faxed a copy of the EKG to a friend whose husband happens to be a pediatric cardiologist so it will be nice to have a second opinion.

I've decided that we, meaning the people in the U.S., are seeing the fulfillment of prophecy. In the October 1998 General Conference, President Hinckley said, "There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed." (To read the entire talk, click here). We watched a couple a different news shows last night along with all the commentary and opinions about President Bush's economic "bailout" plan and I can't help but think that we were warned by a prophet that days like this were coming. It scares me to think about raising my kids in days like the Great Depression and makes me think a lot about what I could be doing right now to prepare ourselves as well as possible for whatever comes next. We've been enjoying the "fat" years and I don't know if I know how to survive the "lean" ones. I don't feel panicky or anything, but one thing I personally learned from the hurricane and it's aftermath is that life isn't always the way we're used to it being - things can change drastically in a short period of time and it takes a long time to recover.

Anyway, those are my random thoughts today and for anyone who's interested, stay tuned for pictures about JEDI TRAINING at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'd say $450.

I feel panicky. I was talking to my friend Tori about it this morning. Things just don't feel right right now and I'm terrified of what's coming. There's been case lot sales at several stores this week...and while money is tight right now, I'm spending most of it on food storage this month. I'm nervous.

Shelah said...

I hope it wasn't as much as a trip to Disney World! Our trip to HEB on Monday set us back $316. Not fun.

Peg said...

I guess it was $398.45. Random I know but i watch the price is right!

Melanie said...

How did you put off going to the store for so long?! I'm impressed. :)

I've been wondering about what's going on too. It can get me all stirred up if I think about it for a while.

That's an interesting quote from Pres. Hinckley. It makes me grateful for the knowledge we have. I know that somehow we'll be OK. My problem is I want to know the ending at the beginning. Tell me now, how things will work out for my family. Don't make me wait! :)

Holly or James said...

Our food storage has been going bank busters lately and we're keeping extra cash on hand. However, you shouldn't be too worried because your husband is working in the medical field and should be pretty safe - hopefully me too!
I do feel uneasy about our countries future and not terribly optimistic that the next president can lead us back to prosperity.

lyn said...

I'm thinking around $350. I've been twice since the hurricane and stocked up "a little" (ha!) each time - and I've cringed each time I saw the total (less than $200 each time, but not much...)

I'm with Mel... just tell me how we get there.... yeah... we bank at WaMu