Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Mr. Darcy (and a vent)

Who loves Colin Firth? I do! I do!
L.O.V.E.D. him as Mr. Darcy in A&E"s "Pride and Prejudice" and in the "Bridget Jones" movies.

He's 48 years old today.



I also have to quickly vent all my frustrations about our upcoming trip. If you're not interested, please just wish Mr. Firth a happy birthday and exit my blog now. Trips are supposed to be fun and exciting, right? A chance to get away and relax a little and spend time together as a family right? Well, it doesn't feel like it right now. It feels like the elements are combining against us - literally! First of all, I just want to say that I am S-S-S-SICK of hurricane season and all the threats of hurricanes to our area. I know - it's a stupid thing to be sick of, but I am anyway. Ike is gonna cause us problems and yes, I'm just selfish enough to be bothered that's it's affecting our trip instead of thinking of all the poor people in Cuba whose houses blew down or got flooded and now have nowhere to live. (And since CJ is the emergency preparedness contact for our ward, don't even get me started on the number of phone calls and emails he's receiving about this storm. I'm talking HOURLY people!) We don't even know for sure yet which day we're leaving or at what time because it depends on when and where the hurricane makes landfall - work might be cancelled and schools might be closed, but who knows at this point?


In addition, Hannah's school district is giving us major headaches about excusing her from school. I totally get that school is in session and that ideally she would be in class every day. But a few days off is not going to seriously disrupt her 2nd grade education and it's not like she won't catch up when we get back. The bad part is that she woke up yesterday with a fever and missed school. Not good. That attendance secretary is going to hunt me down, report me to the truancy police and probably take me to court if Hannah misses any more school (and yet we're supposed to be gone next week). We're already planning to shorten this trip by several days because of the "attendance police" and it's makin' me mad that we're going to lose days at Disneyworld AND we had to re-book our hotel (both in Orlando and where we'll stay on the way and on the way home).


I keep hoping that by this time next week, we'll all be healthy and enjoying ourselves at Disneyworld and all the stress of getting there will be forgotten. For now, I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best and try to stop feeling so stressed about something that I can't control and should be more fun than this!

10 comments:

lynette said...

hurricane season in texas--don't miss that! sorry about all the stress and drama. i was just thinking about kids missing school this morning. carly has been home for 4 days with a sore throat and last night she starting throwing up. here in chile, they don't care so much, but i know i'd be hearing about it back home. good luck! i hope your vacation gives you time to destress and have fun!

Sara said...

Yeah, we were just informed that Texas has a new law and any child with 10 absences in a school year (full OR partial absences) can be required to appear in court to justify the absences. Last year, Hannah missed 4 days in 2 weeks (she got a stomach bug and ended up in the hospital for dehydration) and we got several threatening letters from our school district. I understand the reason for watching absences but it seems a little overboard sometimes...

Cali said...

Hey, Sara, just found your blog and hope you don't mind if I chime in. We were in a similar situation last spring. Not knowing about the whole "attendance police", we had scheduled a cruise during TAKS week no less. Well, we got a little flack, but in my opinion, family time is more important than any time spent in school. I know of one family who actually withdrew their daughter from school, as the teachers wouldn't support the family going on a three week trip to China to visit family. You would think that such an awesome cultural experience has to be worth something to the child's education! What I thought was funny, is that they reregistered her when they returned - BRILLIANT!
By the way, congrats on your pregnancy. I think we're due around the same time??? I'm 20.5 weeks.
Enjoy your trip!

Emily said...

ugh, sorry dude. that's inSANE to me. second grade? it's not like it's college. she can learn to write cursive another time. sheesh. try to forget about the stress of it and just have fun (easier said than done).

and happy birthday, mr. darcy.

Queen of the Castle said...

Just like Cali's friend, my cousin and her family went on an extended trip during the school year once (they used to live in Texas), her solution to the "10 day crazy law", as I call it, was to check the kids out of school and then enroll them when they got back. It's a really annoying way to do it, but it is a minor loophole in the law.
The law exists because there are parents out there that don't care about their kids and it gives the law enforcement a way to be able to enter their homes and make sure the kids are okay. The other thing too is that funding is partially based on attendance.

ellen said...

hi-larious

Holly or James said...

you should talk to holly about missing school. maryland was rude about it.
i hope you have a fun trip, and remember to eat fish and chips.
-gym

Peg said...

I feel for you! It's stressful enough without dealing with some stupid storm and now the schools are being jerks!
Good luck and hey for good measure it might not be a bad idea to have Charile start praying - it worked to get him a brother!

mahina said...

i love him, too!

i say, who cares what the school says! it is your child, your child's education and if you want to take a trip for a week, then take a trip for a week. what say does the school have in your family affairs! sheesh! here in oregon, the schools are cutting days of school so why can't we cut dauys of school, too!

have fun on your trip, once you finally get there!

just move back to albuquerque and you won't have to worry about hurricanes and we'll be able to see you guys!!

Cherise said...

I'm sick of the hurricane season too, this is our fifth year here and there haven't ever been this many threats before... It also doesn't help that we flew out for RITA three years ago and nothing happened, so I'm inclined to stick it out if it does look like it will hit. Just a quick warning about the airport before a hurricane - make sure you get there really early and expect flights to be delayed - make sure you have plenty to entertain your kids. We needed at least five hours and only arrived at the airport four hours before our flight. Good Luck - I hope you have a great vacation - even though getting there is going to be such a stressful thing!