Monday, September 29, 2008

Jedi Training

One of our Disneyworld highlights was Jedi Training at Hollywood Studios (formerly known as MGM Studios). Our neighbors, who went to FL for Spring Break, loved it and once Charlie heard their stories, we knew it was not-to-be-missed. Plus, since a hurricane had ravaged our hometown, we added a few days to our Disney tickets and decided to spend Tuesday at Hollywood Studios. We loved the Indiana Jones stunt show - I'm sure my kids have never seen anything blow up that close to them before - but like I said, Jedi Training (and the Star Wars store) was the favorite.

As the show starts, a real Jedi comes onstage and talks about the force. "A true Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense - never for attack." He chooses 12 volunteers from the audience to come onstage with him. I had tried to prepare my kids for this, so they were both jumping up and down and screaming, "pick me! pick me!" and sure enough, the Jedi noticed and chose Hannah. She went onstage to get her Padawan robe and lightsaber and the Jedi taught them a few basic lightsaber moves. It was fun to watch her! (But I will also admit to having a few tears in my eyes for Charlie. He wanted to be chosen so badly and I think he was totally shocked that Hannah was picked and he wasn't. But, true to form, he quickly overcame his disappointment and cheered her on - brave little guy!)
And then, suddenly, the Darth Vader song from the movies starts and out comes Darth Vader with a couple of StormTroopers. It was so cool! Each of the new Padawans got a chance to fight Vader himself.
The Jedi was really cool and knew a lot of fancy Jedi moves!
Luckily, when we went back the next hour, Charlie got his chance! He was chosen and got to go onstage for Jedi Training too!
His fight with Darth Vader was so cute! We spent yesterday afternoon looking at our pictures from our Disney PhotoPass and their pictures were even better so now we're trying to decide if it's worth the huge pricetag to buy the photos on the CD. Both kids graduated and have offical Jedi certificates. I'm sure this is one we'll go back and do again someday!

4 comments:

Holly or James said...

that is awesome. i wish they did that at the disneyland.
-gym

ellen said...

gym, they do. It's right across from the nemo submarine. I thought Luke would love it, but he was TERRIFIED, I've seriously never seen him so freaked out.

Emily said...

It's true, Luke WAS terrified. Bawlin', trying to hide behind the trash can...that Darth Maul and Darth Vader were VERY scary.

I'm soo glad Charlie got to go up, I was about to cry when you said they picked Hannah and not Charlie. I would pay for the good pics.

Melanie said...

I'm so glad Charlie got to go up too! Those pictures look like a lot of fun. I can't wait for my kids to get just a little older!

I would totally get the expensive pictures too, 'cause even if you do go back someday, the kids will be older and it'll be different. You want to remember this time! :)